Sunday 6 October 2013

Cool memories of TorSun comp room


Hi, everyone. I'm Glenn Fraser.

I started with the Sun in 1982 at the Edmonton Sun. I transferred to Toronto in 1985 working in the composing room.

Every weekend, in the winter, us comps would freeze our little butts off. One particular Sunday night was extremely cold. Back then the wall where we composed the pages was nothing more than cinder block with a red brick face on the outside of the building.

It was the west facing wall and looked onto the parking lot. The west wind would rip against the wall and we would feel the cold on the inside.

I finally had enough and organized the crew to get their coats, hats, scarfs and gloves on and got a photog to snap a couple of pictures. I put together the attached front page and made two copies: One for me and the other was sent to the building manager.

For the life of me I can't remember his name, but when we got to work on the Monday afternoon we were told that he got the message. 


It was then explained to us the building did not have a boiler but was heated by the people and the machines in the building.By Sunday night, the building would cool down because of the lack of people working on the weekend.

We were told to suck it up. lol

1 comment:

  1. I suspect that building manager may have been Art Holland. Then again, what the hell do I know?

    ReplyDelete