Wednesday 1 June 2011

Worth repeating

Brian Campbell has left a new comment on your post "30 - Brian Whipp":

Wow, I am shocked and very sad to read this news. I have great memories of Brian and I owe him a huge debt of gratitude for basically giving me my career at the Edmonton Sun in 1981.

Nobody in their right mind would have hired someone with my credentials for IT work, but Brian saw something in me and gave me a huge break. I enjoyed employment with the Edmonton Sun for almost 19 years thanks to him.

He used to joke that I owed him big time since I was just a cab driver when he met me. He got a lot of "mileage" out of that joke for many years. He had a great sense of humour and was a true character.

If memory serves, he got a job offer at Wang Computers shortly after he hired me and he was off on a slightly different career path, but not for long. I think he landed back with the Sun chain in Calgary a year or so later.

I hadn't spoken to Brian in over a decade, but I discovered on Google last year that he was running a campground up north and I was hoping to catch up with him this summer. I now regret not emailing or calling him sooner. 

My condolences to his wife Kim. Brian will certainly be missed, he was one of a kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment